Top 5 of the best freeware / opensource software for network admins of 2007

The end is near (of 2007 that is) so its time for those lists again.
Today I post my top 5 of the best freeware,crippleware,adware and opensource software I have used in 2007.
To start off with this list I must first define a definition of freeware, freeware in my eyes is software that you can use freely.
In that light also crippleware is included in my list. And so if opensource.

This year has been quite a year for freeware. Just take a look at the amounts of money spiceworks and for example crossloop gathered through investors. see the pressreleases here for the spiceworks pressrelease and here for the crossloop press release. It seems that the industry is picking up those marbles out there.

  1. SpiceWorks Desktop
  2. Logmein Free Edition
  3. Comodo Personal Firewall Pro
  4. Nessus Security Scanner
  5. Prtg Traffic Grapher

1. Spiceworks Desktop

This is for me a really handy application, it saves me time everyday I use it.
It keeps tracks of all events in my environment, new software installs it show me if the Antivirus applications are up to date.

2. Logmein Free Edition

If you follow my blog you know I use this program quite a lot.
It enables me to connect to remote location very easily and without any hassle.

 

3. Comodo Personal firewall pro

image

image

image

image

 

Comodo is consitently in the top of Matousec Leak Test therefore it is in my toplist.
If you look at the last screen you can see that you can export your settings, and import them even at another computer.

I hope Comodo will bring out this year a network administration interface to manage multiple clients.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exchange Server Error -1018: How Microsoft IT Recovers Damaged Exchange Databases

Server and Domain Isolation Using IPsec and Group Policy

[Solved] The Group Policy client-side extension Internet Explorer Zonemapping failed to execute