How to Uninstall WSUS 3.0 after you have (removed/fucked up) the database manually

Well if somehow your wsus 3.0 database becomes corrupt.
Due to an Database administrator removing the instance for example.

I tried to remove through the Add/Remove programs dialog but all I got back was.


Event Type: Information
Event Source: MsiInstaller
Event Category: None
Event ID: 11725
Date: 25-09-2007
Time: 11:17:18
User: Domain\Administrator
Computer: WSUSSERVER
Description:
Product: Microsoft Windows Server Update Services 3.0 -- Removal failed.
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Data:
0000: 7b 32 43 30 44 37 45 33 {2C0D7E3
0008: 35 2d 45 45 36 45 2d 34 5-EE6E-4
0010: 44 43 37 2d 42 41 31 33 DC7-BA13
0018: 2d 32 43 36 38 41 45 44 -2C68AED
0020: 45 42 35 39 44 7d EB59D}


And voila the program was removed from the ADD/Remove Programs dialog.
So I had nothing.

Inspecting the Wsus installation log at %temp%\wsus*.log
Reveals the following:

MSI (s) (8C:74) [11:17:38:402]: Product: Microsoft Windows Server Update Services 3.0 -- Removal failed.

There you have it, you have absolutely nothing to work on.

Then you will have to do the following to get your WSUS back.

First what I did was to completely remove the Database.
I had used the internal WSUS 3.0 database so to remove that I did the following.
Go to command prompt and there type in:

msiexec /x {CEB5780F-1A70-44A9-850F-DE6C4F6AA8FB} callerid=ocsetup.exe
I found this on the Microsoft Technet

Microsoft Technet

This starts the deinstallation of the Windows Internal Database.
So the first hurdle has been taken, the database is gone.

Now I wanted to start the installation of wsus again but this resulted in the same vague error messages I already stated above.

Now I had to remove the complete installation of WSUS 3.0 which is an msi app.
I remembered that there was an Windows Installer CleanUp Utility.

I downloaded it from Microsoft:
Windows Installer CleanUp Utility

When I ran that utility on the machine it showed me alot of programs but also the crooked WSUS 3.0 I selected that one, and choose [Remove]
In the application log showed the following:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: MsiInstaller
Event Category: None
Event ID: 11707
Date: 25-09-2007
Time: 11:23:16
User: Domain\Administrator
Computer: WSUSSERVER
Description:
Product: Windows Installer Clean Up -- Installation operation completed successfully.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 7b 31 32 31 36 33 34 42 {121634B
0008: 30 2d 32 46 34 42 2d 31 0-2F4B-1
0010: 31 44 33 2d 41 44 41 33 1D3-ADA3
0018: 2d 30 30 43 30 34 46 35 -00C04F5
0020: 32 44 44 35 32 7d 2DD52}


That is what I wanted to see.

After that I manually removed the installation folder of wsus which was in my case
D:\WSUS.

This enabled me to re-install wsus 3.0 and its now purring like a kitten.

Here is my clientdiag on the commandprompt on my machine.

C:\clientupdate>clientdiag

WSUS Client Diagnostics Tool

Checking Machine State
Checking for admin rights to run tool . . . . . . . . . PASS
Automatic Updates Service is running. . . . . . . . . . PASS
Background Intelligent Transfer Service is not running. PASS
Wuaueng.dll version 7.0.6000.374. . . . . . . . . . . . PASS
This version is WSUS 2.0

Checking AU Settings
AU Option is 4: Scheduled Install . . . . . . . . . . . PASS
Option is from Policy settings

Checking Proxy Configuration
Checking for winhttp local machine Proxy settings . . . PASS
Winhttp local machine access type

Winhttp local machine Proxy. . . . . . . . . . NONE
Winhttp local machine ProxyBypass. . . . . . . NONE
Checking User IE Proxy settings . . . . . . . . . . . . PASS
User IE Proxy. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . NONE
User IE ProxyByPass. . . . . . . . . . . . . . NONE
User IE AutoConfig URL Proxy . . . . . . . . . NONE
User IE AutoDetect
AutoDetect not in use

Checking Connection to WSUS/SUS Server
WUServer = http://wsusserver
WUStatusServer = http://wsusserver
UseWuServer is enabled. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . PASS
Connection to server. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . PASS
SelfUpdate folder is present. . . . . . . . . . . . . . PASS

Press Enter to Complete


Yes I have re-downloaded all the updates, maybe its possible to leave the download folder for the updates but I havent tried it.

I hope this will help you in uninstalling wsus and reinstall wsus 3.0.

Comments

Jeff said…
Thanks. I just used your tips to get rid of a bum WSUS 3.0 instance and reinstall. It's working great now.
Teus said…
that is nice to hear, glad you got it all working.
Unknown said…
Thanks a lot for your "howto"! I had the same problem that there was no way to get it back running, neither to uninstall it completely! Funny that the "Install Clean Up" Utility seems to be a part of "Microsoft Office Update" LoL

Thanks again!
Best wishes
Dave84620
DC said…
Thanks mate, worked a treat
Unknown said…
I tried you tips and it didn't work for me. It always says that a newer product is already installed. I don't know what to do to get rid of that software...
Steve said…
All the cryptic post from TechNet, other users and everywhere in between, this was the simplest and by far the best answer to a WSUS installation that went south. Thanks for the post.
Rob Persaud said…
Need assistance to uninstall wsus 3.0 sp1. It is currently on the c cdrive taken up space. I would like to move it to the d drive instead. Should I just remove it from the add/remove programs.
I deeply appreciate your sharing which definitely saves me from a terrible mess I just made. Thanks.
Unknown said…
Thanks Tons, I just did your suggestions and WSUS 3 SP2 is now working again like a charm...

Way to go on your research..
Todd said…
are you aware of any risks of uninstalling the sql database if the machine is a domain controller?
(:Pro:) said…
Отлично. Всё работает. Спасибо =)
Unknown said…
Finally i found a solution for this issue, Thanks!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Exchange Server Error -1018: How Microsoft IT Recovers Damaged Exchange Databases

Server and Domain Isolation Using IPsec and Group Policy

[Solved] The Group Policy client-side extension Internet Explorer Zonemapping failed to execute